Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Zevon and Guthrie's first birthday party

We had a small party and lots of cake to celebrate the boys' birthday. I decided on a baseball theme for the cake and I'm pretty proud of my design.

Obviously, it isn't to scale. But it was delicious!

Cupcakes for the boys

After singing them happy birthday (which brings a problem with twin birthdays: do you sing 'Happy Birthday' twice or do you sing, somewhat awkwardly, 'Happy birthday, Zevon and Guthrie'?) we gave each boy a cupcake to try out. Despite some last minute efforts on my part to get them to blow out their own candle, they didn't even attempt making a wish. Will and Evie had to help them out. These guys have had very little for sweets in their short lives. So a whole cupcake to themselves was rather humorous to watch. Zevon did not enjoy the frosting and it made him shudder. But Guthrie would only eat the frosting and smoosh the cake. Not identical, indeed. Looking back on these pictures, I see that the boys look less than enthused for the festivities. I think they must have celebrated the day with an early morning and no nap. I'm sure the no sleep mixed well with the sugar by 7pm that evening.

Excitement for cake? Fear of fire? Either way, this appears to be a big thing for Z.

Zevon tries the bottoms first approach.

Evie helps Guthrie blow out his candle

Gus licked the cupcake clean. His hands and face, not so much.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Z is rightfully afraid of that flame! Alex burned his hand on his #2 birthday candle- Yowch!!! Happy Birthday, big boys!